Energy Corridor
West I-10 Katy Freeway
Houston, TX
Toll-Free: 866-959-7824
I-10 West: 281-955-1111

Alternative Dispute Resolution for Custody Disputes

Child custody is often a contested issue during divorce. When parents fight over who gets custody or terms of custody, courts can motion to use alternative dispute resolution procedures. A spouse can also enter a motion for alternative dispute resolution (ADR). Texas courts give special consideration to parent-child relationships and encourage amicable dispute resolutions. ADR can help parents resolve parent-child issues involving conservatorship, possession and child support, and arrive at early settlements during pending litigation.

You should discuss alternative dispute resolution with your Texas divorce lawyer so you understand what is involved and what to expect.

Texas Family Code SubChapter on Alternative Dispute Resolution Procedures provides you with these ADR options:

  • Mediation. A neutral third party helps facilitate a settlement, reconciliation, or understanding between you.
  • Mini-Trial. You and your attorneys present your positions before an impartial third party or selected representatives for each party. The impartial third party may offer an advisory opinion on the merits of the case, but it is not binding unless you agree and settle.
  • Moderated settlement conference. This is a forum for case evaluation and realistic settlement negotiations that allows both sides to present their positions before a panel of impartial third parties who may offer a non-binding advisory opinion.
  • Summary jury trial. Also a forum for case evaluation and negotiated settlement, you and your attorneys present your case before a panel of jurors (usually six) who offer a non-binding advisory opinion.
  • Arbitration. Non-binding arbitration allows you and your lawyers to present your positions before an impartial third party who renders a specific decision. Before engaging in arbitration, spouses can decide to make the arbitrator's decision binding or non-binding.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


AV rated Lawyer:
Highest Rating per Martindale-Hubbell

Areas of Practice

At Robert Reid McInvale you can trust us to guide you through the legal process and provide personalized, reasonable, aggressive representation on such matters as:

Family Law


Licensed by the Texas Supreme Court Since 1982.

Attorney Advertising. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. [ Site Map ] [ Bookmark Us ]

See our profile at or

LexisNexis, Martindale-Hubbell and the Knowledge Burst logo are registered trademarks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under license. Other products or services may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies. © 2012 LexisNexis. All rights reserved.


Robert Reid McInvale |
16360 Park Ten Place Suite 327 | Houston TX, 77084 | Toll-Free: 866-959-7824 | Phone: 281-955-1111