Search Site
Child Custody Modification

Lubbock Child Custody Modification Lawyer Provides Help When You Need It Most

An experienced family law firm that’s with you every step of the way

When you’re going through a divorce, an attorney can protect your rights as a parent. West Texas divorce lawyer Robert Reid McInvale helps individuals who need to seek a child custody modification due to changing circumstances or living conditions. Our firm is here for our clients when they need us most.

What’s involved in a child custody modification?

A child custody agreement is based on the financial and living situation of both parents at one point in time, but circumstances can change over the years. You might switch jobs or need to move to another state, making your current arrangement no longer viable. Or, the other parent may no longer be suitable to have custody or visitation time with your children.

There are a number of circumstances that must be present to file for a modification, and the following are some of the reasons why you may need to do so:

  • Relocation. If you or your ex-partner must move to a different state due to a job change or other factor, you may need to modify the original decree to reflect the new circumstances.
  • Failure to follow original agreement. When one parent does not adhere to the child custody agreement, it can be frustrating for the parent who is acting responsibly. A modification can reduce the burden on you and your children.
  • Child endangerment. If your ex-partner maintains poor living conditions, is abusive or is living with someone else who places your children in danger, you have a right to seek a child custody modification to protect your kids.
  • Change in child’s best interest. If there has been a change in circumstances for the custodial parent that endangers the children physically, mentally, or emotionally, a modification can be done in order to protect the child’s best interest.

How the process works

To get this process started, your lawyer must file a Petition to Modify the Parent-Child Relationship with the local clerk’s office where you established your original custody arrangement. You can request this location to be moved if your children have lived somewhere else for at least six months. If all parties agree to the new arrangement, they all need to sign an Order in Suit to Modify the Parent-Child Relationship. A judge then signs the order.

If the modification is contested, you must demonstrate that the proposed changes are in the best interests of your children and that circumstances from the original decree have materially changed. If the children are over the age of 12, they may provide input about which parent they would like to live with and other aspects of the arrangement.

To make sure you have covered all of your requirements and have made a strong argument for a custody modification, seek the guidance of an experienced child custody attorney. This will give you the best opportunity for success as you seek an arrangement that’s in your best interests and your children’s.

Consult with a skilled Lubbock custody lawyer today

If you need help modifying a child custody agreement due to changing circumstances in your life, speak with Robert Reid McInvale. You can give our firm a call at 833-884-3087 or contact us online to learn more about your options. We’re proud to serve individuals and families throughout Lubbock and the surrounding communities.

Contact us for help with your divorce, child custody, or other family law issue
Robert Reid McInvale Attorney Photo
Robert Reid McInvale
Attorney at Law

Robert Reid McInvale is an experienced family law attorney with a comprehensive practice in Lubbock. He provides dedicated and strong advocacy for his clients, helping them with all the issues surrounding their divorce, separation, child custody, and other marriage and family matters. Attorney McInvale—Reid to clients and friends—seemed destined for a law career. Born while his father was attending Emory University Law School, Reid grew up in Manchester, GA. His father was the city attorney for many years, as well as head of the Manchester Chamber of Commerce. It is in the family blood to become lawyers and help people get justice. U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall is part of the McInvale family tree.

What our clients are saying

  • yelp

    Highly recommend him! Excellent legal representation. Highly skilled, held in high regard in the legal network, professional, intelligent and gets the results you need.

    Read more

    Marianne K.

  • google

    I rarely take time to post online reviews but our experience with Reid McInvale has been so good that I want to do whatever I can to help other people find this attorney. it was overwhelming when we started looking for a divorce and child custody att...

    Read more

    Cheryl Wiker

  • google

    Don't waste your time and money searching and interviewing other lawyers. Mr. McInvale did my custody case in 2010 and I have always returned to him when I had an issue or a question. He is a very truth speaking and up front attorney. He is NOT like ...

    Read more

    Mandi Friestad

  • google

    Mr.McInvale gets the job done. Most definitely willrecommend him and consider in the future as necessary to family & friends! If you need a Divorce call him.

    Read more

    Julia Coleman

See all reviews
Contact us

Quick Contact Form