Go to main navigation
16360 Park Ten Place, Suite 327, Houston, Texas 77084

Custody Attorneys in Houston

Temporary Child Custody & Sole Custody in Houston

Types of Custody

Houston-area lawyer Robert Reid McInvale would like to present this list of other types of custody arrangements. He can offer you legal advice for all sorts of custody issues, including joint, sole, split, and temporary custody arrangements.

Though joint custody is definitely favored by Texas courts, there are other custody options available. These are:

  • Sole Custody
  • Temporary Custody
  • Split Custody

Sole Custody

Sole custody awards both legal and physical custody to either the mother or the father. A person with full legal custody has the right to make all decisions for their child regarding education, religion, discipline, medical care (though provisions may exist for emergency medical needs), and other matters of major significance. The child only resides with the parent who has full physical custody, although visitation arrangements may allow the child to spend some percentage of time with the non-custodial parent.

Temporary Custody

Temporary custody refers to where the child will be allowed to reside from when you begin litigation for sole or joint custody. The first step you will take in your custody case is to file a request for temporary custody. This will be decided by the court, like any other court-ordered custodial arrangement, based on the best interests of the child. To be clear, this is NOT an initial award of custody, but rather is a short-term arrangement so that the child has a set place to live while you wait for the court to begin hearings on the ultimate disposition of custody.

Split Custody

Split custody differs from joint, sole, and temporary custody in that it refers to a situation in which there are two or more children and each parent is awarded full physical custody over one or more children, but neither has full physical custody of both or all children.  This is a somewhat unconventional arrangement that may be reached based on the ages of the children involved and the preferences expressed by the children to the court.

Whether you are pursuing sole, temporary, or even split custody of your children, consultation with a child custody lawyer is a must. Contact Robert Reid McInvale to obtain knowledgeable custodial advice.


Experienced Legal Representation in the Greater Houston area

Help with your divorce, child custody, or other family law issue is only a call away. Contact Robert Reid McInvale toll-free at , or complete our online contact form.

Come meet us at either of our TWO locations for your convenience:

1. NW Harris County Office
One Chasewood Bank Bldg.
20333 SH 249 @ Chasewood Park Drive, near Louetta and just south of Hwy 99
serving Cypress, Tomball, Spring and The Woodlands

2. West Office
16360 Park Ten Place,
Serving West Houston, Katy and Ft. Bend County

Your case can be handled by Reid McInvale in YOUR county of residence or any other county in the Greater Houston Area and the entire State of Texas.

Call for an appointment:

Main number 281-955-1111
Toll-Free Number: 866-959-7824
The Woodlands call 281-367-4422