Search Site
Collecting Past Due Child Support

Lubbock Family Law Attorney Helps Clients Take Action to Collect Past-Due Child Support — No Matter How Much Time Has Passed

Holding deadbeat parents responsible for the money they owe

Robert Reid McInvale, Attorney at Law handles only family law cases. We understand that child support payments are vital for parents trying to make ends meet. The state of Texas expects both parents to contribute financially to a child’s upbringing. This means that when parents do not live together, the non-custodial parent is often made to pay child support. Unfortunately, obligations under court support orders are not always met and some deadbeat dads and moms do not fulfill their responsibilities to their children. In some cases, parents will go months or years without paying the child support that they owe. In these cases, the law provides the custodial parent with rights. Texas allows parents to recover past-due child support no matter how much time has passed. Our law firm works with Lubbock parents to help them enforce a child support order and collect child support arrears.

Tactics for recovering past-due support payments

If you are owed a large sum of money for past-due child support payments, we can use a variety of enforcement measures to help you recover the funds you are owed. Some of the most common ways to recover payment include:

  • Tax offsets. Both state and federal tax refunds of non-custodial parents can be held and distributed to the custodial parent. Your attorney will help you file the necessary paperwork to accomplish this.
  • Liens. Texas law allows a claimant to enforce child support by putting a lien on personal property or real estate. When you have a lien on property, you have an interest in that property that may be enforced if it is sold. In some cases, property may be seized and sold to satisfy the debt.
  • Freezing bank accounts. Child support lien notices can also be given to banks where the parent has an account. Your lawyer can help you get a parent’s bank account frozen for up to the amount that they owe you.
  • Orders to withhold and deliver property. An Income Withholding Support Order (IWO) forces an employer to take money out of a parent’s paycheck to pay both past-due and current child support.
  • Passport denial. Parents who owe $2,500 or more are not eligible to receive a U.S. passport.

If none of these tactics work, we may be able to have the parent jailed. If a lawsuit is necessary, we will vigorously litigate your claim in court. We do everything possible to help parents get the money they are owed so that they can provide for their children.

The effects of lapsed payment on the custodial parent

When the custodial parent (payee) stops receiving child support payments that they are owed, the results can be dramatic. The parent may have trouble supplying their child with basic shelter, food and clothing. Making ends meet without these payments is difficult and could result in a parent needing to take a second or third job. In these cases, there may be additional childcare costs due to the increased time a parent is away from home. To help parents who have struggled due to non-payment, the parent who owes the child support may also be forced to pay six percent interest on arrearages (owed payments) from the time that they became delinquent in their payments. Our firm works to collect all past-due payments as well as any interest that you are owed.

Contact us for help getting the child support that you are owed

Regardless of how much time has passed, you are entitled to any child support that a Texas judge ordered. The law firm of Robert Reid McInvale helps clients hold deadbeat parents accountable for their debts. We use all methods available under the law to get you paid. For help enforcing a support order, help is only a phone call away. Call the  firm today at 833-884-3087 or complete our online contact form.

Contact us for help with your divorce, child custody, or other family law issue
Robert Reid McInvale Attorney Photo
Robert Reid McInvale
Attorney at Law

Robert Reid McInvale is an experienced family law attorney with a comprehensive practice in Lubbock. He provides dedicated and strong advocacy for his clients, helping them with all the issues surrounding their divorce, separation, child custody, and other marriage and family matters. Attorney McInvale—Reid to clients and friends—seemed destined for a law career. Born while his father was attending Emory University Law School, Reid grew up in Manchester, GA. His father was the city attorney for many years, as well as head of the Manchester Chamber of Commerce. It is in the family blood to become lawyers and help people get justice. U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall is part of the McInvale family tree.

What our clients are saying

  • yelp

    Highly recommend him! Excellent legal representation. Highly skilled, held in high regard in the legal network, professional, intelligent and gets the results you need.

    Read more

    Marianne K.

  • google

    I rarely take time to post online reviews but our experience with Reid McInvale has been so good that I want to do whatever I can to help other people find this attorney. it was overwhelming when we started looking for a divorce and child custody att...

    Read more

    Cheryl Wiker

  • google

    Don't waste your time and money searching and interviewing other lawyers. Mr. McInvale did my custody case in 2010 and I have always returned to him when I had an issue or a question. He is a very truth speaking and up front attorney. He is NOT like ...

    Read more

    Mandi Friestad

  • google

    Mr.McInvale gets the job done. Most definitely willrecommend him and consider in the future as necessary to family & friends! If you need a Divorce call him.

    Read more

    Julia Coleman

See all reviews
Contact us

Quick Contact Form