Go to main navigation
16360 Park Ten Place, Suite 327, Houston, Texas 77084

File for Divorce in Texas

Houston-area attorney Robert Reid McInvale can provide you with all the information you need on how to file for divorce in Texas. His family law firm can help explain the unique Texas laws for filing for a divorce.

The first step when filing for divorce is to find a lawyer to work with you on the process. A marital and family law attorney can explain the differences between an uncontested and contested divorce, discuss which grounds for divorce to include, and determine the issues that must be resolved to your satisfaction before the divorce goes through.

Make sure you meet the requirements of the law before you file. You need to be a resident of Texas for six (6) months if you want to file outside of your home county, or a resident of the county for ninety (90) days if you’re filing inside that county.

Fill out an original Petition for Divorce with your county clerk and serve your spouse with a copy of the petition. Your attorney will guide you through the filing and serving process.

Decide with your lawyer how you’re going to divide your marital assets and property, handle child custody, support, and visitation, and any other divisions that need to be made before the divorce can be finalized.

Your attorney can then contact your spouse’s lawyer and work out the details of the divorce agreement until both sides are satisfied. Agreement can be achieved either through discussion, mediation, or, if necessary, by defending your interests in Houston Family Law Court.

Show up in court on the day of your hearing with your divorce lawyer, who will ensure all your papers are in order and that everything has been filed properly.

If any disagreements arise about distribution of money, property, or sharing custody of children, it may take more than one court date for your lawyer to get the divorce finalized. Fortunately, you can count on an attorney experienced in Texas law like Robert Reid McInvale to guide you through the filing and resolution of your divorce.

Experienced Legal Representation in the Greater Houston area

Help with your divorce, child custody, or other family law issue is only a call away. Contact Robert Reid McInvale toll-free at , or complete our online contact form.

Come meet us at either of our TWO locations for your convenience:

1. NW Harris County Office
One Chasewood Bank Bldg.
20333 SH 249 @ Chasewood Park Drive, near Louetta and just south of Hwy 99
serving Cypress, Tomball, Spring and The Woodlands

2. West Office
16360 Park Ten Place,
Serving West Houston, Katy and Ft. Bend County

Your case can be handled by Reid McInvale in YOUR county of residence or any other county in the Greater Houston Area and the entire State of Texas.

Call for an appointment:

Main number 281-955-1111
Toll-Free Number: 866-959-7824
The Woodlands call 281-367-4422