Divorce Laws in Houston Texas
Houston-area family law attorney Robert Reid McInvale understands the often complex Texas divorce laws and can explain them to you. His years of experience handling divorces and related actions in Texas enable him to provide you with advice as to which path to pursue that will lead to a divorce agreement that makes the most sense, given the particulars of your case.
Divorce laws vary from state to state. In Texas, there is some unique legislation that may affect your case. A few examples:
- The first step in divorce proceedings involves filing a Petition for Divorce with the Texas District Court. This document states the grounds for the divorce and whether or not there are children under 18 in need of support. If so, a separate lawsuit must be filed regarding the parent-child relationship.
- Either spouse must be a resident of Texas for the six (6) months preceding the Petition for Divorce and a resident of the county in which the lawsuit was filed for the preceding ninety (90) days.
- Texas has a collaborative law agreement, under which couples can file for a No-Fault divorce. This can expedite the proceedings, assuming the couple is in full agreement on all matters related to the divorce. Both parties must agree that any decree of divorce they sign under collaborative law is not subject to revocation.
- There is no concept of legal separation recognized by the state of Texas – you are either married or you are not.
- Texas does not recognize same-sex marriage; therefore, a same-sex couple cannot file for divorce.
There are other precedents, legislative rulings, and laws that affect divorce cases in Texas – too many to list in full here. This is why you need a divorce attorney who is thoroughly versed in divorce law, not just in general, but particularly in Texas. In order to negotiate the legal “jungle” of local divorce law, contact the law firm of Robert Reid McInvale for advice.
Experienced Legal Representation in the Greater Houston area
Help with your divorce, child custody, or other family law issue is only a call away. Contact Robert Reid McInvale toll-free at , or complete our online contact form.
Come meet us at either of our TWO locations for your convenience:
1. NW Harris County Office
One Chasewood Bank Bldg.
20333 SH 249 @ Chasewood Park Drive, near Louetta and just south of Hwy 99
serving Cypress, Tomball, Spring and The Woodlands
2. West Office
16360 Park Ten Place,
Serving West Houston, Katy and Ft. Bend County
Your case can be handled by Reid McInvale in YOUR county of residence.or any other county in the Greater Houston Area and the entire State of Texas”
Call for an appointment:
Main number 281-955-1111
Toll-Free Number: 866-959-7824
The Woodlands call 281-367-4422