Search Site

What Can Be Done If Served With Enforcement And Contempt Actions?

In Texas, people regularly go to jail and pay fines for violating court orders. The harshest punishment is meted out for violating a court order to pay child support, or for violating an order to surrender children for the other person’s visitation and possession time, or failure to provide health insurance for a child or pay their share of medical expenses.

Also, persons who interfere with possession of a child may be sued for money damages for doing so.
In Texas, the violation of family law court orders is handled through what is known as “Enforcement and Contempt” actions. They are civil suits that proceed by law that has criminal-like consequences. These actions are what is known as qusi-criminal. In other words, part civil and part criminal. The Texas Family Law Code sets out a procedure for punishing people who violate its family court orders and provides an opportunity for defending against any such accusations.

If you have been served papers accusing you of violating a court order, you might have read in those papers where the other party requests you go to jail for 180 days (6 months) for each violation. If you are the victim of someone who violated the court order, you have the right to file such violations against them.

If you want to prosecute or defend against a Family Law court order violation, or you want to file suit against someone who interfered with your right to possess a child, call Reid McInvale, attorney at law. (281) 955-1111.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact us for help with your divorce, child custody, or other family law issue
Robert Reid McInvale Attorney Photo
Robert Reid McInvale
Attorney at Law

Robert Reid McInvale is an experienced family law attorney with a comprehensive practice in Lubbock. He provides dedicated and strong advocacy for his clients, helping them with all the issues surrounding their divorce, separation, child custody, and other marriage and family matters. Attorney McInvale—Reid to clients and friends—seemed destined for a law career. Born while his father was attending Emory University Law School, Reid grew up in Manchester, GA. His father was the city attorney for many years, as well as head of the Manchester Chamber of Commerce. It is in the family blood to become lawyers and help people get justice. U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall is part of the McInvale family tree.

What our clients are saying

  • yelp

    Highly recommend him! Excellent legal representation. Highly skilled, held in high regard in the legal network, professional, intelligent and gets the results you need.

    Read more

    Marianne K.

  • google

    I rarely take time to post online reviews but our experience with Reid McInvale has been so good that I want to do whatever I can to help other people find this attorney. it was overwhelming when we started looking for a divorce and child custody att...

    Read more

    Cheryl Wiker

  • google

    Don't waste your time and money searching and interviewing other lawyers. Mr. McInvale did my custody case in 2010 and I have always returned to him when I had an issue or a question. He is a very truth speaking and up front attorney. He is NOT like ...

    Read more

    Mandi Friestad

  • google

    Mr.McInvale gets the job done. Most definitely willrecommend him and consider in the future as necessary to family & friends! If you need a Divorce call him.

    Read more

    Julia Coleman

See all reviews
Contact us

Quick Contact Form